I must have heard it seventy times in my first month living in Seattle…”You have to go visit Leavenworth!” So, I did! A wonderful friend accompanied C and I for a girl’s weekend away. We were promised a winter wonderland, and we got rain, but maybe that’s what we get for going in November instead of true Winter. It was still pretty lovely. Leavenworth is a sweet little town, that definitely has the feeling of the season, in European-style.
On the drive to Leavenworth, we intended to stop at Stevens Pass Resort to give C a little sled time, and grab lunch to-go at Cascadia Kitchen or have a sit down lunch at Bull’s Tooth, but the rain took all the snow away, and C fell asleep, so we just kept on driving! Before that, we stopped at Espresso Chalet and grabbed a tea to-go, which is just about an hour outside Seattle, making it halfway to Leavenworth.
Where to Stay
We stayed at the Bavarian Lodge, which is right across from the main street, so it is perfect for hopping to and from places. It maintains that rustic-feel, and has a great pool for kids, which is outdoors and heated. If you’re going without kids, and with people who are all 18 and older, I’d definitely check out Post Hotel!
Where to Wander
Depending on which season you’re adventuring in, you may be driving to some trailheads for hiking, but here are some suggestions both big and small!
- Walking the Waterfront Park and into Blackbird Island is a must – so lovely, and not far off the main strip!
- Feed the reindeer! You’ll need to buy tickets in advance
- Sled at Front Street Park
- Walk Sleeping Lady Resort – I would suggest doing this in the spring or summer, when the garden is in bloom
- Hit up Leavenworth Ski Hill
- Do all the winter things at Lake Wenatchee State Park
- If you need an indoor activity, there’s always the Nutcracker Museum
Where to Eat
We only had so much time and so much stomach-space, so I’ll have to go back to experience so much more, but here are some restaurants and cafes worth checking out!
- München Haus – Bavarian Grill & Beer Gardens; get a table outside with a fire pit!
- Watershed – by far our best meal; locally-sourced, American cuisine
- Woodsman Pub – in the Bavarian Lodge; worth it to grab a drink and an appetizer and grab an igloo outside!
- Gingerbread Factory – baked goods and hot drinks
- Argonaut – Espresso Bar and Sidewalk Cafe; we didn’t get a chance to try this one, but heard good things
- Anjou Bakery – I may make the drive back just to try this bakery – it looks divine!
Hope you get a winter wonderland!!