I love pizza in all forms – even when the crust is cauliflower, or mushrooms, or in this case, spaghetti squash. Pizza just means you can get a little bit of every food group, if you so choose, and there are so many flavours in each bite! My husband absolutely loves this pizza, and many, many years ago when I first got him to try spaghetti squash, he wasn’t fully on board, so even if there’s a veggie-crust pizza skeptic in your life, you may make a believer out of them!!
Spaghetti Squash Pizza
Serves: 2 to 4 people
- 4 cups spaghetti squash, strained
- 1 egg
- Black Pepper & Garlic Powder (and any other spices)
- Toppings: Tomato sauce, Veggies, Meat, Cheese
- Preheat oven to bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you need instructions for cooking spaghetti squash, follow along. If you already have that part figured out, skip to step 3.
Cooking Spaghetti Squash:
-Wash spaghetti squash
-Heat up spaghetti squash in the microwave for 3 minutes, in order to make it easier to cut
-Cut spaghetti squash in half, length-wise
-Using a spoon, scoop out the middle of each half and throw in the compost
-Place the spaghetti squash halves on a baking sheet (flat side down) with a thin layer of water
-Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-55 minutes (depending on the size of the squash)
-Use a fork to scrape out spaghetti squash from it’s shell (you’ll end up with nice, long spaghetti!)
- Place scraped out spaghetti squash into a fine mesh strainer to press all the extra water out of it (don’t worry about this step if you’re just eating it as pasta, but if you’re turning it into a pizza, you will want to make sure you include this step!) *If you are placing in the fridge and making the pizza another day, you can often get away without straining it as well!
- In a large bowl, combine the spaghetti squash, egg, and any spices you desire (I like black pepper and garlic powder. You may also want to consider salt or oregano, just to name a couple).
- On a greased pizza pan or pizza stone, place spaghetti squash mixture in the centre, and then form into a flat, round shape (about 10 inches in diameter…remember this is a fork and knife pizza regardless of thickness). Place in the oven and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, top with all your favourite toppings (tomato sauce, some veggies, some meat, some cheese), and then place back in the oven for another 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted/browned to your liking.
- Enjoy your vegetable-based, delicious pizza (with a fork and knife)!
Enjoy your ‘Za!