San Diego gives you all the options – the water, hiking, sports, so many family-friendly parks, and food food food! So, it’s a great location to go with kids and make it a family trip, or you can go to simply drink at every brewery you can find. It’s a build-your-own-adventure kind of destination!
- Petco Park – even if you’re not into watching the Padres play baseball, go there to eat all the food inside…some of the best restaurants in San Diego set up shop there
- Hikes/Trails – there are so many hikes you can check out! Torrey Pines has super easy trails and you get to walk on the sandstone and see the beach
- Old Town – walk around Old Town, eat there, and pick up food to take with you, from root beer to ice cream to chocolate from around the world
- Balboa Park – you could spend days there…so many different museums. I hit up the Japanese Friendship Gardens and the Model Railroad Museum
Other activities that I didn’t get a chance to do, but were recommended and/or researched:
- Depending what you’re into, there is Safari Park, the San Diego Zoo, and Lego Land
- Golf at the Torrey Pines Golf Course
- Hikes: Sunset Cliffs, Bayside Trail, Point Loma Tidepools and Bluffs Trail
Now to the Food…
- Breweries – there are so many amazing breweries in San Diego. The breweries often have games and food trucks, and babies are allowed in! Two I got to enjoy were Alesmith (loved the open space and brightness of this one during the day) & Mikkeller
- Top of the Market – best to book a reservation. Delicious fish! Gorgeous view and lots of areas to walk around there
- Barra Barra Saloon – Mexican-cuisine in Old Town. The enchiladas are highly recommended, and the spicy margharitas! (If you have a chance to order Carne Asada Fries anywhere, do it!)
- Einstein Bros. Bagels – get the potato bagel!!!
- In-N-Out Burger – this is not my favourite fast food burger, which could leave me up for debate, but if it’s your thing…it’s there!
Other restaurants that I didn’t get a chance to try, but were recommended and/or researched:
- Pizza Port – supposed to be really great Za!
- Fish Market – seafood; right on the bay for beautiful views; it’s San Diego tradition, nothing fancy – just good food
- Ironside Fish & Oyster – in Little Italy, cool venue and great food
- Water Grill – known for having really good seafood
- Cafe Gratitude – cute little restaurant with vegan food
- Plumeria – vegetarian Thai food
Does anyone else think of Will Ferrell in Anchorman every time they say San Diego?! Please tell me I’m not alone!