New York…we’ve talked Manhattan and Brooklyn, but if you have time to head out to Long Island, it sure is beautiful and not at all what you picture from seeing New York in the movies!
- Go to Sands Point Preserve – it’s $10 per car and has workout paths, nature walks, and some beauty water
- Visit Old Westbury Gardens – explore the old house and the yard. Beautiful walk and scenery, and has specials set up for Halloween and Christmas
- Hike Cold Spring Harbor – a sweet little 3K out-and-back hike in the trees and by the water (read more about Long Island nature adventures here and here)
- Go to the Beach – Jones Beach & Long Beach are my fav. The North Shore beaches are much rockier, but Sunken Meadow State Park is also nice
- Head to the Hamptons – Coopers Beach is relatively close, and by the Cowfish restaurant, but I’ve never been in the summer
- Visit Makinajian Farm – fresh food!
- Hit the Museums – Some great museums (especially with kids) are The Firefighter’s Museum, The Aviation Museum, and The Children’s Museum
- Wander Flushing Meadows – Corona Park…go walk there and see the unisphere
- Take a Cooking Class – Sur la Table is a great place to take a cooking class!
- Explore Eisenhower – Walk, run, workout, or play a sport at Eisenhower Park
Now to the Food…
- The French Workshop (Garden City) – Jordan would say to get a pie
- Sweet to Lick (Williston Park) – vegan bakery & cafe
- Witches Brew (West Hempstead) – coffeehouse, and also vegan/vegetarian food (unique environment)
- Clipper Ship Tea Company (Huntington) – my fav place to get natural, loose leaf tea
- Food for Thought (Garden City) – healthy lunch spot…salads, bowls, juices, etc.
- The Flour Shoppe (Rockville Centre) – for brunch!
- Le Pain Quotidien (Garden City) – healthy lunch sit down (quick) spot
- Bagel Master (Syosset) or My Three Sons (Williston Park) – delis that have great in-house bagels
- Bareburger (Queens) – great burgers! Organic, all-natural, vegan options, etc.
- Chopt (New Hyde Park) – love their “cauliflower rice” base! You can also find Chopt restaurants in Manhattan
- Avo Taco (New Hyde Park) – I’ve never met a taco I didn’t like!
- True Food Kitchen (Garden City) – You can’t go wrong with anything on their menu!
- Cippolini (Manhasset) – my fav Italian
- Waterzooi (Garden City) – Belgian…get the mussels and fries!
- Toku (Manhasset) – great sushi – get the rock shrimp and crispy rice
- Kinha (Garden City) – another sushi spot!
- Copperhill (Williston Park) – great brunch or lunch
- Prime (Huntington) – on the water – upscale steak & fish house
- Small Batch (Garden City) – Farm to Table
- Cowfish (South Hampton) – Get the Brussel sprouts!!
- Borrelli’s (East Meadow) – For pizza (and pasta!)
- Kyma (Roslyn) – Fantastic Greek…don’t miss out on their potatoes!
- Gelateria Dei Coltelli (Williston Park) – Gelato…need I say more?
Here are some places that are still on my wish list:
- Kings Coast Coffee (Shirley)
- Salt (Merrick)
- Mill Pond House (Centerport)
- The Rose Room – a speak easy bar in The Garden City Hotel
Enjoy your adventures on the island!
December 13, 2019